Fortnite is a video game that was developed by Epic Games in the year 2017. It has been released in two game modes so far which includes – Fortnite: Save the World and Fortnite Battle Royale. Though the modes are different, they still share same game engine and general gameplay. Both of these game modes were launched in 2017. Save the World can only be played on PlayStation 4, macOS, Xbox One and Microsoft Windows. Whereas, Battle Royale is available for those platforms as well as iOS devices and Nintendo Switch. Android doesn’t support this game yet but it is expected to release android support in mid-2018. Just before the release of Battle Royale, Save the World mode had attained more than one million players by August 2017.
Fortnite game modes: what are they and how do they work?
Fortnite is a video game created by Epic Games and a player needs to fight enemies in order to survive in open-world environment. The gameplay includes cartoonish violence and some characters that might not be suitable for younger players. You can either play this game in a solo mode or a cooperative mode.
To play this game, children will need to provide an email address, which will need verification and a username.
Fortnite: save the world – is a cooperative game which you can play by teaming up with three other players! This is a type of shooter-survival game where players have to fight AI-controlled enemies, called husks, and mysterious zombie like creatures. It can also be played solo with AI allies that help you on your missions but you can choose to turn it off for a full solo experience. This involves missions where players are supposed to protect locations from enemies or venture out in order to find survivors among the wandering monsters. In the defence missions, players spend time building and preparing fortifications and also exploring for materials required to make the items of need. The player or players will then trigger combat and start to protect their base. The map for each mission is randomly generated, except for the home base located map. The player will then have to return to home base map, which is also the location of Strom Shield, in order to increase the Shield radius. This will help to fight strange creatures that are similar to zombies and take the world back from them. The story is not very intense which doesn’t involve too many dialogues or long cut scenes.
Fortnite Battle Royale – is a free-to-play shooter game where up to 100 players fight in smaller places until only the one survives. However, it not about getting most number of kills even though you will need to kill the remaining survivors to be the last one standing, the current Meta rewards are based on the aggressiveness and built. However, matches can still be won through avoidance and sneakiness.
The game flow is as follows:
- Every match is started on the Battle Bus, which flies over the map. The direction keeps on changing every time. Players are dropped into locations nearest to the route but you can pull the parachute right away and land anywhere.
- After a couple of minutes, a circle appears on the map. A fewer minutes later, a storm slowly intrudes across the map and surround the circle, which pushes the players towards it. Players can survive in the circle for a little while, one would want to move there in a reasonable amount of time.
- Another circle will appear within the first one and this process repeats. The time is taken by the circle to close in increases each time. With this, the effectiveness of the storm increases. This makes moving inside the circle more important. The less space to play in will result in you running into the other players.
- Now, there will only be a handful of players left and you will be more likely to know the location of other players. Fortifications will be established, gunfire shot, and each player will make their move. You have to careful and make smart decisions while being aggressive in order to survive.
Why is Fortnite so popular?
There are multiple reasons as to why Fortnite, especially Fortnite Battle Royale, has become the biggest gaming fun craze of 2018. These reasons include:
- The wide and free availability of Fortnite on all the major gaming consoles, Macs, PCs, tablets and phone versions that is available on iOS. The Android version is expected shortly, which means more accessibility for children.
- The gameplay is extremely immersive yet simple. Cooperative games last up to 30 minutes and players can rapidly re-enter a new game which makes long sessions tremendously easy.
- The game’s design is quite attractive. The weekly challenges and updates help the game to evolve constantly, which, in turn, helps the game to maintain its great appeal.
- Gaming fun elements like V-Bucks, which is an in-game currency, permits the players to finish the challenges in return for rewards.
- Fortnite has a vast social media following through streaming and video apps like Twitch and YouTube making it a famous gaming fun. The popularity drives the children to play this game in order to keep up with peers and friends.
Is Fortnite an addictive game?
Being the popular game that it is, Fortnite has a whopping 45 million users. There are reports that claim that Fortnite is an addictive game. The cooperative gaming mode is popular because of its relatively short game that lasts up to 30 minutes. Re-entering another game is quite a simple process which lures the player to play ‘just one more game’. However, some studies claim that Fortnite can promote positive skills and qualities in children like quick reactions, teamwork and expertise.
Fortnite Battle Royale is free to download game that makes it even more appealing gaming fun for the children. With its amazing visuals and graphics, it is no wonder that Fortnite is one of the most famous video game of 2018.